Test Centre Volunteering
When children return to school once the current lockdown ends, we will need to implement the mass testing of students. For this, we need your help.
To help assist with our testing operations on site, and to plan for mass testing roll-out when students return to school, we need to recruit a group of community volunteers to provide support in asymptomatic testing for staff and students on site.
We have produced the following video to show what happens within our test centre and the roles that we need volunteers to perform.
Planning and preparation
Due to the dynamic situation we are in, we currently do not know how long we are expected to provide this service for. However, we inevitably need volunteers to assist and support the requirements of the school during these unprecedented times.
Our current testing programme for staff and children of critical workers, commenced on the 7th January. Whilst we have been able to fulfil the workforce roles with Manor High School staff during the current lockdown restrictions, we will need to expand our team to reflect the large number of tests required when schools re-open fully.
Depending on how schools return (i.e. a phased or full return), we expect the mass testing programme to last around 2-3 weeks. The government guidelines currently indicate all students should be tested on their return and then again 3-5 days later. Twice weekly testing for staff will also continue.
With all students back at school, our current test centre staff will be limited to their availability to continue working in the test centre. We may therefore extend the volunteer programme in school for longer.
For mass testing in school we are particularly interested in volunteers to undertake the Processor role within the testing centre. The role involves processing of routine Lateral Flow COVID-19 testing to students. Please note all PPE will be provided for the role.
The main responsibilities of the Processor role will include:
- Providing medical swabs for individuals and directing/assisting them to carry-out self-tests.
- Providing reassurance, guidance and supervision to students on testing, as requested and required.
- Processing tests ready for recording results.
- Cleaning test bays/spaces, ensuring all areas are clean and as COVID-19 safe as possible.
- Liaising with Team Leader in test centre, ensuring that all areas are stocked with equipment required for processing.
- Maintaining universal precautions and disposal of waste in accordance with the infection control policy
There are other volunteer roles within both the test centre and school that we also need help with, such as exam invigilation.
How do I register as a volunteer?
If you are interested in applying, and able to volunteer or know someone who can offer their time to help for a few hours, a half or full day, please complete the online application form.
In order to be a member of our volunteering team, we ask that you:
- Complete the Volunteer Application Form (link above)
- Hold the right to work in the UK
- Have an Enhanced Child DBS, be on the Update Service or be willing to undertake a new DBS application
- Provide a minimum of two professional references
- Complete relevant training required for role
If you have any questions regarding the roles in our test centre, please speak to our HR manager, Lynn White. You can contact her via email: HR@manorhighschool.leics.sch.uk or by calling the school on 0116 271 4941.